How to Take Magic Mushrooms
The form in which magic mushrooms are taken can impact how quickly they take effect, and the intensity of the trip. There are tons of recipes online for creating quirky shroom meals, so we looked into the different ways that shrooms can be ingested and which ways are best.
Different Ways to Take Shrooms
There are a few different ways to ingest shrooms, with mixing them in drinks the most common method. Many online dispensaries will sell shroom edibles such as chocolates or gummies, and those who prefer microdosing options will often take shroom capsules.
Most people find that mixing shrooms in tea brings on the effects of psilocybin, the primary chemical in magic mushrooms, much quicker than other methods. Any type of flavored tea can be used, although users recommend strong flavored teas as they will mask the taste of the shrooms.
Another popular option is to create a drink called Lemon Tek, by mixing magic mushrooms with pure lemon juice. It’s believed that the acid breaks down psilocybin quicker so when we ingest it, the effects are felt sooner. The lemon is also effective in reducing queasiness. Blending shrooms with a smoothie is also an option, especially for those who want a healthy alternative.
The great news is that shrooms can be added to any dish and eaten, so you can combine your trip with a tasty treat. Make shroom brownies, or sprinkle some shrooms onto your pizza for a new take on ‘pizza funghi’.
It’s best to go for strong tasting dishes, like pastas or omelettes, as magic mushrooms have quite a pungent taste which can often cause queasiness.
Some people prefer to consume the shrooms just as they are, without boiling or cooking them. It’s believed that they will be at their most potent, but you may have to follow them with a strong flavored drink to wash away their intense taste. All you need to do is ensure that you have cleaned the shrooms thoroughly, especially if you’ve just picked them from the ground!
Smoking is one of the least common ways to take magic mushrooms, but that doesn’t mean it’s pointless. Users who do prefer this method tend to mix the shrooms with weed, which results in quite a chilled out vibe.
There’s a lack of research in this area, but some studies suggest that psilocybin breaks down under high temperatures, so smoking may be much less potent than the three methods listed above. There are also concerns about inhaling the mold spores of the shrooms potentially causing lung damage or infections, so proceed with caution if you’re tempted to try smoking them.
The Best Way To Take Magic Mushrooms
We’ve put together two options for taking shrooms, one being a drink and the other a yummy snack.
For shroom tea, you will need:
- A teapot to brew the tea in
- Tea of your choice
- A kettle
- A grinder for crushing the shrooms
- A water strainer to remove any bits
- A Mug
Tea making instructions:
- While the kettle is boiling, crush your shrooms with the grinder into a powder. You can finely chop them if you don’t have a grinder. You can put anywhere between 1 gram of shrooms to 5 grams per cup of tea, depending on the intensity you want to experience.
- Make sure you’ve got enough to evenly distribute the shrooms and tea depending on how many people are with you.
- Mix the shrooms and the boiling kettle water in the teapot and let the shrooms brew for roughly 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure they’re fusing together.
- In the mug, place your tea leaves/tea bag and then pour the shroom mixture from the teapot in. A strainer can be used to stop any clumps, and if you’ve put whole or chopped shrooms in, they can be kept for a second batch of shroom tea.
Magic Mushrooms Chocolate
For shroom chocolates, the method is extremely easy and doesn’t require any culinary skills . For this recipe you’ll need:
- Milk chocolate
- Grinded shrooms
- Chocolate molds
- A pan for heating the chocolate
- In the pan, gently heat the chocolate, mixing in a dash of milk and a teaspoon of vanilla. Grease the molds.
- Once the chocolate has completed melted, leave it until it’s nearly cool (but still in liquid form).
- Mix in your shrooms and then pour into the molds. Put the molds in the fridge for roughly 10 minutes before taking them out and leaving them to set at room temperature.
- When they’re completely solid, remove from the molds.
Chocolate shrooms are a great treat which can be enjoyed alone or with friends in a social setting. You might have to play around with different quantities before you find the right balance between shrooms and chocolate, but 1.5 grams is a good starting point.
This recipe is also more effective as there’s no heat involved for the shrooms, which some people believe can affect the potency of the shrooms.
How to Make The Most Out of Your Shroom Trip
It’s natural to feel nervous if you have never tried psychedelics before, but there are a few tips for making sure your shroom trip goes as smoothly as possible.
- Roll with the waves! Shrooms affect everyone differently, and many factors such as how much you consume can influence that. The key is to stay positive, don’t try to force anything and just go with the flow.
- Be with someone you know and trust, and in a comfortable environment.
- Don’t take shrooms on a full stomach as you can end up feeling extremely queasy!
- Start off by taking a low dose, especially if it’s your first time.
Whichever way you decide to take shrooms, make sure to follow the tips above and enjoy your magic mushroom experience, especially if you’re pairing it with a tasty snack or cup of tea!
Educational Resources for Psychedelics
If you are interested in learning more about Psylocybin and other psychedelics, you can find more information in our educational resources section.
TFG Shroom Recipes Section
For those interested in fun ways to take mushrooms, you can find more information through the link here: TFG's Shroom Cookbook
TFG's Campaign to Raise Awareness of Mental Health Issues
Full article found here: The Stigma of Mental Health Problems