Learn About Magic Mushrooms & Psilocybin
If you’d like to learn more about magic mushrooms and how they can work for you, this resource below has everything you need to become knowledgeable and comfortable with this magical psychedelic substance.
What are Magic Mushrooms?
Magic mushrooms, also known as “shrooms” or “psychedelic mushrooms,” are fungi that contain naturally occurring psychoactive compounds, primarily psilocybin and psilocin (Read our Terminology Glossary). When consumed, these compounds induce hallucinations, altered perceptions of reality, and various other psychological effects.
Magic mushrooms have been used recreationally and as sacraments in religious rituals for thousands of years. Historical evidence suggests that ancient cultures across various parts of the world, including the indigenous peoples of Central America, used these mushrooms for spiritual and shamanic purposes.
In Mesoamerica, particularly among the Aztec civilization, these mushrooms were known as “teonanácatl,” which translates to “flesh of the gods.” They were consumed during religious ceremonies to induce visions and connect with the divine.
The modern Western world became widely aware of magic mushrooms in the 1950s when R. Gordon Wasson, a vice president of J.P. Morgan & Co., documented his experiences with these mushrooms in Mexico. This led to further research, popularizing their use in the West.
Now, the mushroom revival has come, and the benefits of psilocybin are starting to come to light and be heard.
What are the effects of psilocybin?
Psilocybin, a naturally occurring compound found in certain mushrooms, has psychoactive properties. When ingested, it’s converted to psilocin, which affects serotonin receptors in the brain. The effects can vary based on dosage, individual sensitivity, and environment but commonly include:
- Altered perception of time and reality
- Enhanced sensory experiences (e.g., brighter colours, heightened sounds)
- Euphoria and increased emotional sensitivity
- Deep introspection or spiritual experiences
- Visual and auditory hallucinations
- Changes in mood, ranging from happiness to anxiety
- Impaired judgment and motor skills
It’s important to note that while many people have positive experiences with psilocybin, some may encounter “bad trips” characterized by anxiety, paranoia, or frightening hallucinations. Proper “set and setting” (mindset and environment) are crucial for a safe and beneficial experience.
What are the benefits?
It’s amazing the benefits that are being discovered from Psilocybin. Magic mushrooms owe their “magic” to their active compound psilocybin, the subject of extensive research and personal anecdotes highlighting both therapeutic and recreational benefits. Here’s a summarized list of these benefits:
- Mental Health Treatment: Preliminary research suggests that psilocybin may help treat depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Some patients report significant symptom relief after just one or a few sessions.
- Addiction Treatment: Studies have shown potential in using psilocybin to treat various addictions, including alcoholism and nicotine addiction, by breaking patterns of dependency.
- End-of-life Anxiety: Psilocybin has been explored as a treatment to alleviate existential anxiety in terminally ill patients, helping them come to terms with mortality.
- Neuroplasticity: There’s emerging evidence that psilocybin might promote neuroplasticity, the brain’s ability to form and reorganize synaptic connections, which can aid learning and recovery from injuries.
- Cluster Headaches: Anecdotal reports suggest that magic mushrooms can help alleviate the pain and frequency of cluster headaches, a condition often described as more painful than childbirth or kidney stones.
- Enhanced Sensory Perception: Users often report heightened senses, where colours appear more vibrant, sounds more distinct, and tactile sensations more pronounced.
- Deep Emotional Release: Many users experience a profound emotional catharsis, leading to the release of pent-up emotions and a feeling of rejuvenation.
- Spiritual Experiences: Some individuals describe encounters with a higher power, feelings of interconnectedness, or a deeper understanding of the universe.
- Creativity Boost: Artists, musicians, and writers have reported increased creativity and novel perspectives on their work after consuming magic mushrooms.
- Ego Dissolution: A temporary loss of one’s sense of self, leading to unity with the surroundings and a break from the constraints of ego and identity.
It’s essential to note that while many individuals report these benefits, the effects of magic mushrooms can be highly subjective and vary based on dosage, individual sensitivity, and environmental factors.
Are there any risks?
While offering various benefits, magic mushrooms also have potential risks and side effects. Here’s a summarized list of these risks:
Side Effects and Risks:
- Hallucinations: While some seek this effect, for others, it can be distressing or lead to dangerous situations if not in a safe environment.
- Paranoia and Anxiety: Some users may experience heightened anxiety, panic attacks, or paranoia during a trip.
- Nausea: Consumption can lead to stomach discomfort or nausea, especially when ingested in raw form.
- Impaired Judgement: Like other psychedelics, magic mushrooms can impair judgment, making activities like driving extremely dangerous.
- Bad Trips: An uncomfortable or distressing psychedelic experience can lead to panic, fear, and negative emotions.
- Mental Health Concerns: Those with a history of psychosis or other mental health disorders might experience exacerbated symptoms or prolonged psychological effects.
- Flashbacks: Some users report experiencing sudden and brief recurrences of psychedelic experiences days or weeks after consumption.
Interactions with Other Substances or Medications:
- Alcohol: Mixing with alcohol can intensify the effects of both substances and increase the risk of adverse psychological reactions.
- Antidepressants: There’s potential for adverse reactions when mixing psilocybin with SSRIs or MAOIs, two common classes of antidepressants.
- Stimulants: Combining with stimulants like cocaine or amphetamines can increase heart rate and blood pressure to dangerous levels.
- Other Psychedelics: Combining magic mushrooms with other psychedelics can lead to unpredictable effects and increased intensity.
- Medications for Bipolar Disorder: There’s potential for adverse reactions when mixing with medications used to treat bipolar disorder.
- Blood Pressure Medications: Psilocybin may interact with these medications, leading to unpredictable changes in blood pressure.
Individuals must approach the consumption of magic mushrooms with caution, especially if they are on medications or have underlying health conditions.
Determining the proper dosage for magic mushrooms is essential for a safe and beneficial experience. Dosage can influence the psychedelic journey’s intensity, duration, and nature. Factors like individual sensitivity, the specific mushroom strain, and the desired effects are crucial in deciding the appropriate amount.
For a comprehensive understanding and detailed guidelines on dosing, please refer to our in-depth dosage resource.
How to Consume Shrooms Safely
Safety is paramount when consuming magic mushrooms.
Firstly, the concept of “set and setting” is crucial: your mindset (“set”) and the environment (“setting”) can significantly influence your experience. Ensure you have a positive mental state and a comfortable, familiar environment.
For first-time users, starting with a low dose is advisable to gauge sensitivity and avoid overwhelming experiences.
Additionally, having a “trip sitter” or a sober companion present can be invaluable. This person, ideally experienced and trustworthy, can provide reassurance, guidance, and assistance if needed, ensuring a safer and more controlled experience.
Are Magic Mushrooms Legal in Canada?
In Canada, magic mushrooms containing psilocybin are classified as a Schedule III controlled substance under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Activities such as sale, possession, and production are technically prohibited, making magic mushrooms illegal in Canada.
However, recent movements and discussions have been concerned with potential decriminalization or medical exemptions. It’s essential to note that some regions or countries may have varying degrees of leniency or different regulations depending on your location. Generally, they are prohibited in Canada.
What Products are suitable for you?
Premium Magic Mushrooms: We boast a curated selection of magic mushroom strains, including popular Golden Teachers, Blue Meanies, and Penis Envy mushrooms. Ideal for enthusiasts seeking quality and consistency.
Microdosing Mushrooms: For those interested in the cognitive and mental health benefits without the full psychedelic effects, we offer a selection tailored for microdosing.
Mushroom Edibles: We offer magic mushroom edibles, blending the effects of psilocybin with delicious treats like chocolate bars and gummies. Suitable for those who prefer a tasty alternative to traditional consumption methods.
We cater to a wide range of consumers, from beginners to seasoned enthusiasts, ensuring quality, variety, and a seamless shopping experience. Whether you’re seeking therapeutic benefits, recreational experiences, or educational resources, our product range is designed to meet diverse needs.
How do you test your products?
We ensure the quality and potency of our products by testing them in-house. We only source premium magic mushrooms and use vendors with verified and trusted products.
We work closely with our growers and vendors to ensure the quality and effects of all our products are as intended.
Magic Mushroom FAQ:
How Do Magic Mushrooms Actually Work?
Magic mushrooms contain various psychoactive compounds, with psilocybin being the most prominent. Here’s a breakdown of how these compounds work within the body and brain:
- Digestion and Conversion: When ingested, the body immediately begins to break down psilocybin. In the stomach and liver, psilocybin is converted into psilocin, its active form. Other compounds, like baeocystin, structurally similar to psilocybin, are also present in smaller amounts and may contribute to the overall psychedelic experience.
- Interaction with the Brain: Once converted to psilocin, it enters the bloodstream and travels to the brain. Psilocin primarily affects the brain’s serotonin receptors. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in mood, appetite, sleep, and cognition. By binding to and stimulating specific serotonin receptors, psilocin alters the usual patterns of serotonin transmission.
- Effects on the Brain: Stimulating serotonin receptors by psilocin leads to a cascade of effects. This includes enhanced mood, altered perception of time and reality, and increased connectivity between different brain regions. The latter is believed to be responsible for some of magic mushrooms’ unique cognitive and perceptual effects, such as the feeling of interconnectedness and heightened creativity.
- Brain Imaging Studies: Modern brain imaging techniques have shown that psilocybin and psilocin can increase communication between different areas of the brain that don’t typically interact. This increased connectivity and synchronization might explain the profoundly altered states of consciousness and the sensation of “ego dissolution” many users report.
In summary, once ingested, the compounds in magic mushrooms are metabolized into active forms that interact with the brain’s serotonin system. This interaction leads to a range of effects, from mood elevation to profound changes in perception and thought. The unique interplay between these compounds and the brain’s intricate networks results in the characteristic psychedelic experience associated with magic mushrooms.
How can I reduce anxiety / insomnia / stress with microdosing?
Microdosing involves taking a sub-perceptual amount of a psychedelic substance, such as psilocybin mushrooms, typically about 1/10th to 1/20th of a regular dose. The goal is to experience subtle benefits without the intense hallucinogenic effects. You can find example protocols here.
How Microdosing Works:
- Brain Connectivity: Microdosing is believed to enhance neural connectivity, allowing different brain regions to communicate more effectively.
- Serotonin Modulation: Like higher doses of psilocybin, microdosing can influence serotonin receptors, potentially leading to mood stabilization and enhanced emotional well-being.
- Reduced Anxiety: Many individuals report a noticeable decrease in anxiety levels, feeling more at ease in social situations and daily activities.
- Improved Sleep Patterns: Some users have noted better sleep quality and a more regular sleep cycle, which can indirectly combat insomnia.
- Stress Management: Anecdotes suggest that microdosing can provide a more balanced emotional response, helping individuals cope with daily stressors more effectively.
- Enhanced Creativity and Focus: While not directly related to anxiety, insomnia, or stress, many users report heightened creativity and improved concentration, which can contribute to an overall sense of well-being.
Microdosing offers a way to harness the potential benefits of psychedelics without the intense, full-blown trip experience.
Please get in touch with us for any specific inquiries about Psilocybin or buying magic mushrooms.