Can Cats Eat Magic Mushrooms?

You’ve just got a big bag of shrooms, and your feline friend is hanging on the couch thinking, “Here we go.”

What’s the best procedure for you and your cat when you’re doing shrooms?

First and foremost, cats may exhibit curiosity towards the shrooms and try to eat them, so it’s crucial to keep them from your pet and understand the potential harm mushrooms can cause to their health.

While magic mushrooms are digestible by humans, they can harm cats and cause serious health issues.

This article will explore magic mushrooms’ effects on felines, interacting with your cat while tripping, and guide you on managing the situation if your cat ingests them. So let’s begin our inquiry.

Can cats eat shrooms?

Shrooms, also known as magic mushrooms, are unsafe for cats. Do not let your cat eat psilocybin mushrooms.

This is because the psychoactive compounds in shrooms, such as psilocybin and psilocin, can cause a range of toxic effects in cats if ingested. Also, the chitin fibres in mushrooms are difficult for your cat to digest.

The potential risks associated with cats consuming shrooms include vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, disorientation, hallucinations, seizures, and even death in severe cases.

Symptoms can manifest within hours after ingestion and last several hours or even days.

In addition, the makeup of mushrooms is highly toxic and can cause severe liver and kidney damage, leading to long-term health problems or even death.

Can I Pet My Cat While I’m High on Shrooms?

Yes, you can touch and pet your cat while high on shrooms. There is a common misconception that hallucinogens like psilocybin (the active compound in magic mushrooms) and LSD can be transferred through skin contact, potentially causing the pet to trip as well.

However, according to Shroomery forums, this is not true. Therefore, it’s safe to say that physically touching your pet while you’re on shrooms won’t get them high.

However, some users on Reddit have reported a change in their pet’s behaviour while they’re high. This is because some animals may be more sensitive to changes in your behaviour and demeanour, which could affect how they interact with you.

For instance, some pets might become distant or act differently. Therefore, while touching your pet is safe, it’s still important to consider their comfort and response to your altered state.

We can finally put the myth to rest that you get your cat high if you touch them while you’re high on shrooms. The key lies in your relationship with your pet and how they react to changes in your behaviour.

For example, you may be as close with your pet as one of your family members (think parent, grandparent, astute sibling). Imagine hanging out with them while fully tripping on psychedelics; they might think you’re a bit off and avoid you.

Cats are smart; it’s the same thing.

Psilocybin Poisoning Symptoms in Cats

Psilocybin mushroom poisoning symptoms in cats can vary depending on the ingested amount. However, if your cat has managed to eat even the smallest amount, you should watch for signs. Some of the common symptoms of mushroom toxicity in cats include the following:

  1. Vomiting and diarrhea: One of the most common symptoms can occur within a few hours of ingestion.
  2. Abdominal pain: Cats may show discomfort, such as restlessness or reluctance to move due to abdominal pain.
  3. Lethargy: Cats may become weak and lethargic due to mushroom poisoning.
  4. Jaundice: Some toxic mushrooms can cause liver damage, leading to jaundice, characterized by yellowing skin and eyes.
  5. Disorientation: Cats may become disoriented or confused, showing uncoordinated movement or balance problems.
  6. Seizures: In severe cases, mushroom poisoning can lead to seizures, which can be life-threatening.
  7. Coma or death: Mushroom poisoning can be fatal if left untreated or if the cat has ingested a highly toxic mushroom.

Note that symptoms can vary depending on the amount ingested, and some cats may not show any symptoms for several hours or even days after ingestion.

It’s vital to keep your cat from eating shrooms and contact a vet immediately if they have.

What to do if your cat eats shrooms?

If you suspect your cat has ingested shrooms, taking immediate action is essential to reduce the risk of complications and ensure the best possible outcome for your pet. Here are the quick steps owners should take:

  1. Remove any leftover shrooms if your cat eats them to prevent them from eating more.
  2. Call your veterinarian or an animal poison control center as soon as possible. Professional advice can be given regarding the following steps, including possibly bringing your cat in for treatment.
  3. Monitor your cat’s behaviour and symptoms closely. Take note of any changes in behaviour or any new symptoms that develop.
  4. Don’t make pets vomit without vet instructions. It may lead to more complications.
  5. If your cat shows signs of mushroom poisoning, like vomiting or disorientation, get them to a vet immediately. Quick action is vital to prevent serious complications.

You must seek veterinary care immediately if you suspect your cat has ingested magic mushrooms. Your veterinarian can provide treatment to manage the symptoms and reduce the risk of complications. However, they may also recommend hospitalization for monitoring and supportive care, especially if your cat shows severe symptoms or ingests a highly toxic mushroom.

Remember to keep potentially toxic substances out of reach of pets, as even small amounts can cause serious health problems or even death. In addition to mushrooms, other common household substances that can be toxic to cats include chocolate, caffeine, medications, and cleaning products. By preventing your cat from accessing these substances, you can help keep them safe and healthy.

Cats & Magic Mushrooms

Cats may experience mushroom toxicity if they ingest shrooms, resulting in symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, seizures, and even death. Therefore, as a precaution, cat owners should prevent access to mushrooms and other harmful substances and seek veterinary assistance promptly if they suspect their cat has ingested mushrooms.

To ensure the safety and health of your cat, it is crucial to understand the potential hazards of toxic substances and take preventative measures. This may involve keeping mushrooms and other harmful substances inaccessible, observing your cat’s behaviour and symptoms, and seeking prompt veterinary attention if ingestion of a poisonous substance is suspected.

Prevention is essential to protect your cat from mushroom toxicity and other health hazards. In addition, maintaining vigilance and keeping your cat safe can help ensure its longevity, well-being, and happiness.

This way, you can continue to have your trip-sitter present for future adventures.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *